As a Mom, (well as a person) but especially as a mom I have my good days, my bad days, my really good days and my really bad days and every now and then I have an amazing, out of this world, almost perfect day! Today was one of those days...the almost perfect ones. If I got paid to be a homemaker my Boss totally would of given me a fat raise based on today's merits alone. Instead my son paid me in a million sloppy Beijos and my husband paid me in the giant smile spread across his face as he walked through the door. When five o clock rolled around Dane came home to candle and Christmas lights, the smell of Pizza fresh out the oven and Christmas music playing. His son was in an excellent mood and I was too. Not only that, but Boston and I were both freshly showered and looking our best. :) I felt accomplished and took pride in the healthy made from scratch whole wheat pizza that my boys were devouring. In addition to all that, I was a really good Mom today. I spent the first part of the morning playing with Boston and giving him lots of attention, then he played the rest of the day and I worked. I didn't lose my patience with him (like I've been doing lately) and I was consistent with "Uh-ohs" and time outs. After a 2 hour nap (for Boss) we went grocery shopping and in the evening Dane, Boston and I enjoyed a lovely family home evening of taking turns reading a conference talk, singing a church hymn and watching "I'm a Mormon" videos.
Dane is (as I type) making us delicious fruit (no sugar added) smoothies and will then hop on his computer to work on homework. Boston is in bed sound asleep (courtesy of Daddy). The kitchen is spotless, the toys picked up and the carpet vacuumed and now I have hours to relax, write, blog, admire my cute house and hard work and feel really great about this day.
In case I didn't make this clear, these days are a rarity (hence the blogging about it as if it were the highlight of my year...which it just might be). More often than not Dane comes home to a worn out wife, exhausted child, semi messy house, and there may or may not be dinner on the table. Who knows? Depends how the day went. But today...ohhh today, was just the opposite and I live for these days. I usually end up reflecting on what made the day so great, so that I can try to repeat my EVERY STEP so that every day can be "This GREAT!!" Unfortunately that usually doesn't work out so well. However it's very easy for me to see why today was so great.
I started my morning (while Boss ate breakfast) reading Nieniedialogues. She's coming out with a new book and I read the first 3 chapters. She has a passion and love for motherhood and homemaking that speaks to my soul and i totally relate to. Not only that, but she continues to be a wonderful homemaker in spite of being in the most challenging time of her life (she was in a plane crash and burned over 80% of her body..and she's pregnant, on NO pain killers for her burns...yikes!) Anyways, after that 15 minutes of inspiration, I felt excited about my day, and the opportunity to make it great. I remembered what an honor it is that I get to take care of my husband, home and son all day. No job compares. I thought of the bigger picture today. Instead of thinking of my day as menial because of the repetitive tasks of cleaning up after Boston, or changing his diapers, or doing the dishes, I thought all day long of the spirit I'm helping create in our home. I thought of the boy I'm raising and what I'm helping him become. What traditions will my children remember and love? How often can Dane and I gross them out with long kisses when he gets home from work? What food will they beg me to make? How many more little children will I get to bring into this home?
I was so focused on the bigger picture that it made my day feel exciting and it made me feel important and accomplished. I also made sure to not kill the buzz. I didn't watch any shows all day long and instead listened to Christmas music and watched TED talks. If you EVER need inspiration just watch a TED talk. They're amazing.
Anyway, thought I would share my secret to an amazing day. Start out with a little inspiration and go from there!
This time, instead of PRAYING I can make all this happen tomorrow, I will just accept that it's not all entirely in my control, attempt to start tomorrow out right and be really extra grateful for today.
No comments:
Post a Comment