Monday, May 21, 2012

What God gave me time for

I laid Boston down for his nap today, excited about getting in a couple hours of nothing but Downton Abby (I finally caught the downton bug).  You see I had an extra productive morning and got all the bedrooms, bathrooms and rest of the house clean, so I felt particularly excited about having a guilt free relaxing afternoon to myself while Boston slept.  However Boston didn't go right to sleep.  Instead he cried at his door for a long while.  I often let him cry himself to sleep and later move his little body from behind his bedroom door and into his bed, but today that didn't feel quite right.  I said a quick prayer "Should I go help him fall asleep, or just let him cry it out"?  As soon as I opened my eyes I noticed my willow tree figurine standing on my book case.  It's an angel Mom holding her boy that's just about the size of Boston with his legs and arms wrapped around her.  I decided today I would help him fall asleep.  I walked upstairs and Elder Anderson's quote from conference popped into my head, "Motherhood is what God gave you time for".

I opened Boston's door.  We sat in the rocking chair and Boston imitated a yawn and did the sign for moon from his favorite book.  So we sat and I re read him The Moon Shines Down, and sang to him once again.  He fell asleep within a matter of a few minutes and then I quietly laid him in bed.

I'm grateful my heart was open to appreciate that moment, instead of feeling annoyed that Boston was taking up my "me" time.  I'm sure when Boston's a big boy, no longer wanting to be rocked to sleep, I won't ever regret the extra moments I spent rocking my baby to sleep.

Now, on to Downton Abby!

6 comments:

Marty & Meghan Rich said...

Bradley has def wanted his mom more today then normal, making it less then productive. I stopped my workout halfway through to hold him and decided I need to workout when Marty is home at night because the babe needs his mom during the day. Me time is less frequent now, but your right, we will so miss this when they older!! So just enjoy those moments. PS you look so gorgeous in all your pics. Must be the preggo glow going on. Miss you.. when bradley is a little older we will come visit you.

Metcalf Family said...

:) Thanks for sharing that Jill. I was just telling my mother in law how I find it hard to have a clean house when I have three kids that demand my time. I decided I'll take the messy house and just use that time to enjoy my kids :) You are such an inspiration to me Jill, you always have such a positive outlook and always bring the Lord into your life.. I admire you.

Jill and Dane said...

Thanks guys! I have so much more respect for Mom's than I did before I had a kid. Especially Mom's of multiples, Lisa! It's a lot of sacrifice and work, but worth it a million times over. We are lucky women. :)

Bexie Funk said...

that's awesome. i've decided my me time is when shawn is on call or when he falls asleep at 7 :) i've come to really love it.

Jill and Dane said...

You are definitely deserving of some me time Carrie! Man you work hard!

Hippy Mama said...

Love this post. I have never regretted the time I have taken to comfort and connect with my kidos. I too struggle at times with what I have read or hear is "right" and what my hart tells me is true. GO MAMA!