I tell my friends all the time that the older I get, the more hippy I become. It's my Seattle roots shining through. Who am I to deny my roots? I feel especially hippy since I've been pregnant. And I mean no offense by the term hippy...I say it lovingly. Granola would work too. I've always had a little of this in me, I mean my favorite book growing up was, "101 ways to save our planet earth". See? It's my Seattle roots!
Anyway, in this pregnancy I have a Nurse midwife, am in the process of hiring a doula and I now have added to that list, an herbalist. That's right, I have an herbalist. And I have to say, I love her! I love her office too. She works in a gorgeous, old Victorian home and her office looked like some amazing oldschool Apothecary, with all of her herbs sitting on exposed wooden shelves. And the whole place smelled like an Aveda salon...yum. When I went in for my first consultation she brewed me a pregnancy tea and we chatted for an hour about herbally things. At the end of the appointment she made me two tinctures (I think she calls them that?) of herbs that she poured and measured at her little wooden desk, while I watched.
I have one tonic that I take everyday to help strengthen my nervous system and sort of keep me calmer on the daily and another one for if I have a panic attack. The interesting thing about these herbs is that they should also give me more energy, which usually doesn't happen with something to treat anxiety. I said originally that I would just get on medicine if I had anxiety in pregnancy again, but as the pregnancy continues, I've decided to try using some natural methods first that don't put the baby at any risk (or make me gain a ton of weight) and see how those work for me. My anxiety (if any) has been very low and only at night, on occasion, via a pit in my stomach. Since taking the herbs I haven't had a night with any anxiety. Maybe it's working?
I'm now almost half way along. I'm a little over 17 weeks and in two weeks we find out if we're having a Remi or an Isaac. We're so excited! Morning sickness I would say is gone now, finally and I feel like I have more energy.
That's the update on all things hippy and baby for now!
PS I now want an Aveda smelling room in my home. Seriously, I felt sooo relaxed in that office. Plus I worked for Aveda for like 5 years, so happy feelings all around!
1 comment:
oh my gosh, Jill ... I have totally conjured up the most idillic image of your herbalist's "office" and I'm obsessed. I think the smell of an aveda salon is one of my absolute favorite aromas ever. Im jealous! Im glad your pregnancy is going well and you have bypassed the morning sickness stage! ps: I think I get a little more hippy every day too ;)
Post a Comment